Vacancy for: Country Manager
Based: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad's mission is to provide the gold standard of support and safety, so our volunteers and interns can fulfill their potential, discover themselves and create positive change in the world.
Projects Abroad is the world's largest international volunteering and internship provider, recruiting young people from all over the world.
We’ve been running projects and sending volunteers/interns all over the world for 25 years. We have sent over 115,000 enthusiastic volunteers to 29 countries to teach conversational English and to gain work experience in the fields of medicine, journalism, veterinary science, law and conservation.
We’re looking for a Country Manager for our team in Ulaanbaatar to plans, direct, and coordinate the administrative, operational and strategic direction of Projects Abroad Mongolia. The nature of the position entails frequent, timely and effective communication with staff, project partners, volunteers and overseas offices. The main objective of this position is to ensure Projects Abroad Mongolia is properly managed so that it is a sustainable and viable destination offering worthwhile projects. This entails planning and strategically positioning Projects Abroad Mongolia and offering exceptional service to all partners thus ensuring continued improvement and growth in Ulaanbaatar. Our fundamental mission is to provide support to critical areas and promote a cultural exchange that will benefit both our volunteers and the communities in which they work.
- Develop and execute along with team an operational plan for Projects Abroad Mongolia: annual and monthly strategy meetings on how to implement these, as well as ongoing meetings to ascertain the progress
- Manage staff and ensure quality outcomes to all partners: is everyone doing their job effectively and efficiently? How can problems or hindrances be addressed? Are we providing adequate back-up and help to our partners and staff?
- Coordinate all human resource related functions such as evaluation of staff, sick leave and vacation details to be sent to the UK and staff development
- Organize and coordinate office operations and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency: annual, monthly and ongoing meetings to check progress of these procedures
- Ensure that each new volunteer feels welcome and secure in his/her new environment. This includes meeting each volunteer on his or her induction day to discuss where they’re from, why they chose mongolia, why their specific project, and what do they look forward to in Ulaanbaatar. This is an opportunity to emphasize Projects Abroad’s rules regarding under-age drinking, drug use, general safety and health
- Maintain effective communication between the overseas offices, your line manager and the UK head office where necessary: daily communication via email and Skype
- Ensure all internal systems are updated on time
- Agree on monthly budget for programme and operational expenses with your line manager
- Manage monthly operations budget and keep track of expenditure alongside Financial Controller
- Liaise with partners and form strategic working relationships for the future growth and development of Projects Abroad Mongolia: as and when needed, as well as follow-up meetings to touch base on the progress
- Research and investigate new project areas for strengthening and diversity of Mongolian projects
- Represent Projects Abroad Mongolia at meetings, workshops, seminars, presentations, interviews as necessary
- Coordinate all projects in Ulaanbaatar: supervise those staff looking after each of our projects
- Arrange and monitor placements for Business, Law, and Human Rights volunteers
- Efficiently deal with all problems and complaints
- Take disciplinary actions in consultation with the HR department where necessary
We are looking for a person with this experience and skills:
- Master of Science degree (M.Sc.) or equivalent in Business Management, Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field or Bachelor of Science Degree (B.Sc.) or equivalent in Business Management, Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field with least 5 years’ experience.
- Proven ability to formulate and implement operational plans
- Experience working with culturally diverse population
- Experience in project development and management
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet
- Office administration
- Human resource management and supervision
- Strategic and operational planning
- Basic finances pertaining to NGO work
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure, meet short deadlines and multi-task
- Team building
- Decision making
- Analytical and problem solving
- Attention to details and high level of accuracy
- Excellent organizational skills
You will be employed on a permanent contract, subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and personal interview.
To apply, please provide a CV (2 pages maximum) and a cover letter. Please, do not send applications by email.